Sunday, September 6, 2009

Applying to my first big show...

My local Etsy Group - EtsyRain - has put together a BIG, two-day show for November and are now accepting applications. I have never applied to a show this size before and I've never been able to show at any of the smaller events the group have previously puton due to "day job" obligations getting in the way. So this is a huge step for me if I get accepted.

I AM SO NERVOUS and I haven't even sent the application in yet!

I'm nervous because this is so much bigger than selling at my church and it's been several years since a friend and I used to sell at the Fremont Market. This is BIG TIME!

I am also nervous because I have never had to APPLY to a craft show before and submit pictures to a jury. We are only allowed to send 3 pictures with the application. THREE! How can three little pictures accurately showcase my product line?

I've been pouring over pictures all morning - items currently in my shop, items that have sold from my shop, items that I haven't listed yet. I think I've narrowed down that I want to submit one picture of a rosary, one picture of a bookmark, and one picture of a purse fob/zipper pull. Those are my best selling items and now I just have to find the perfect example of each one.

My eyes are going to be crossed permanently from scrutinizing my pictures. LOL!

I know I'm not the first to freak out about these little worries, and I won't be the last, but I'm especially nervous because this will be first time putting myself on the line to be judged by my peers. I just need to remember to breathe and throw in a prayer or two that my products are worthy to be a part of this show.

I'd love to read your blog posts about your first juried craft show application so please link me to them so I can get empathy and inspiration. I'd also love to hear any tips of tricks you have when it comes to applying for a show - especially the difficult task of choosing the right photographs.

Breathe...

Theresa

1 comment:

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

You will be fine! Maybe you could include several items in each of your photos. That's what I usually do for juried shows. You can group them by color, too, so you can get different types of items in there. Just an idea.