Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1st - Feast of Saint Therese of Lisieux

Today the church celebrates the Feast of Saint Therese of Lisieux for this is the day she was Born to Heaven, having died September 30th 1897.  She is also well known as "The Little Flower of Jesus. 

Therese is known for her "Little Way." In her quest for sanctity during her illness, she realized that it was not necessary to accomplish heroic acts, or "great deeds", in order to attain holiness and to express her love of God. She wrote,

"Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love."

She lived a very short life (1873 – 1897) but has had an enormous impact on Catholics worldwide because of her writings and unending love of Christ.  Therese was beatified in April 1923 and canonized on May 17, 1925, by Pope Pius XI, only 28 years after her death. In October 1997, Pope John Paul II declared her one of the thirty-three Doctors of the Universal Church, one of only three women so named (the others being Teresa of Avila (Saint Teresa of Jesus) and Catherine of Siena).

She is the Patron Saint of flowers, the ill, missionary workers, especially those on missions to Africa and the African AIDS crisis.

It is said that those who ask for her Saintly intercession will receive a shower of roses. 

Novena to Saint Therese of the Child Jesus



O Little Therese of the Child Jesus, please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens and send it to me as a message of love.

O Little Flower of Jesus, ask God today to grant the favors I now place with confidence in your hands... (mention specific request)
Saint Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God's great love for me, so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day.

Amen.

No comments: